- Fast & low-noise camera, e.g. pco.panda 4.2
- Variety of detection lenses, e.g. selected models of the Nikon CFI60 and CFI75 water dipping series
Field of view & spatial sampling
Several detection lenses can be used to adjust the field of view and the spatial sampling. Representative images and numbers shown here assume a camera chip with 2048×2048, 6.5 μm pixels. The field of view can be reduced to increase acquisition speed or reduce data size, and several fields of view can be combined to cover a larger area.
- Motorized sample translation using PI L-505 or PI M linear stages
- Motorized sample rotation using PI U-651 or U-628 stages
- Recording of z-stacks
- Multi-position recordings
- Tiled acquisition
- L- or T-SPIM: hanging sample can be rotated around its central/vertical axis
- V-SPIM: surface with the sample resting on top can be rotated; two orthogonal z-stacks can be recorded
- Laser illumination for fluorescence excitation using e.g. Toptica iChrome CLE laser modules
- Static Gaussian light sheet formed by a cylindrical lens, with the option to pivot the sheet around the center of the field of view (mSPIM) and optional double-sided illumination
- LED for brightfield illumination
Each Flamingo has its own computer controlling the hardware and coordinating imaging experiments. The researcher connects remotely to the Flamingo to manually control the microscope and to set up experiments. A computer running macOS 10.12 or later is required for this step.
- Image data is streamed from the camera to RAM and, in a parallel thread, saved to USB data storage
- Flamingo #2 in T configuration is about 350 mm in diameter and 500 mm tall
- Control box is 480 x 380 x 275 mm in size
- Microscope and control box each fit in a Pelican 1660 Protector Case
- Additional accessories are kept in a Pelican 1485 Air Case
- All cases comfortably fit in a small car, e.g. Subara Crosstrek, with the rear seats folded down
The Flamingo #2 requires a workspace of at least 90 x 70 cm (35 x 28″). We recommend a workspace of at least 130 x 70 cm (50 x 28″) to have additional space for samples and laptop. The L-/T-/X-SPIM needs about 510 mm (20″) of clearance.